In case you missed it, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has been holding their convention in Minneapolis for the past few days and one of the topics they were discussing was the possible “liberalization” of their policies on homosexuality.
Of course god would certainly not approve of any of that gay talk from his sheeple so according to local Baptist preacher John Piper, that same “merciful” god sent a tornado through the area in Minneapolis where the ELCA was holding their unholy discussions as a gentle reminder of his disgust.
Piper, who has been a leader in a surge of Calvinism in America, wrote Thursday on his blog that the tornado was a “gentle but firm warning to the ELCA and all of us: Turn from the approval of sin.” Piper added one caveat, citing Jesus’ teaching about the tower of Siloam in Luke 13:4-5: All calamities, whether “in Minneapolis, Taiwan or Baghdad” should be viewed as warnings to repent.
And to further his point, Piper provided 6 points to back up his claim
1. “The unrepentant practice of homosexual behavior (like other sins) will exclude a person from the kingdom of God. ‘The unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.’ (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
2. “The church has always embraced those who forsake sexual sin but who still struggle with homosexual desires, rejoicing with them that all our fallen, sinful, disordered lives (all of us, no exceptions) are forgiven if we turn to Christ in faith. ‘Such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.’ (1 Corinthians 6:11).
3. “Therefore, official church pronouncements that condone the very sins that keep people out of the kingdom of God are evil. They dishonor God, contradict Scripture and implicitly promote damnation where salvation is freely offered.
4. “Jesus Christ controls the wind, including all tornados. ‘Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?’ (Mark 4:41).
5. “When asked about a seemingly random calamity near Jerusalem where 18 people were killed, Jesus answered in general terms — an answer that would cover calamities in Minneapolis, Taiwan or Baghdad. God’s message is repent, because none of us will otherwise escape God’s judgment. Jesus: ‘Those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.’ (Luke 13:4-5)
6. “Conclusion: The tornado in Minneapolis was a gentle but firm warning to the ELCA and all of us: Turn from the approval of sin. Turn from the promotion of behaviors that lead to destruction. Reaffirm the great Lutheran heritage of allegiance to the truth and authority of Scripture. Turn back from distorting the grace of God into sensuality. Rejoice in the pardon of the cross of Christ and its power to transform left and right wing sinners.”
No word yet from Piper as to what was behind the tornadoes in Wisconsin or Iowa around the same time but one school of thought would be that god was warning the ELCA members that had yet to arrive in Minneapolis and happened to be on the road in those areas at the time. But if you ask me though, the more likely reason is that Piper is just plain loony toons.
UPDATE: Good for the ELCA. Today they voted to allow individual churches and pastors to bless monogamous, same-gender relationships and to allow pastors who are in monogamous, same-gender relationships to serve as pastors. They better watch out though, Hurricane Bill isn’t that far away…