Katherine Harris, the wingnut from Florida again shows why she is bottoming out in the polls and why her staff is defecting in droves.
Rep. Katherine Harris (R-Fla.) said this week that God did not intend for the United States to be a “nation of secular laws” and that the separation of church and state is a “lie we have been told” to keep religious people out of politics.”If you’re not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin,” Harris told interviewers from the Florida Baptist Witness, the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention. She cited abortion and same-sex marriage as examples of that sin.
Harris told the journalists “we have to have the faithful in government” because that is God’s will. Separating religion and politics is “so wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers,” she said.
So it is God that choses our leaders? Osama must be proud and maybe he can find her a prominent position in his organization once she gets whipped in the primary.
It sure has been an interesting 2 weeks for the Conservative right.
* Sen. George Allen’s (R-Va.) “macaca” scandal.
* Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) joked about how a “nice little Guatemalan man” fixing up his house might be an illegal immigrant.
* A leading congressional candidate in Florida said he knows, “from my own experience, that blacks are not the greatest swimmers, and may not even know how to swim.”
* Two congressional candidates and a gubernatorial candidate believe people who “appear” to be Arab or Muslim should be subjected to racial profiling at airports.
* Pat Buchanan’s new book argues for “an immediate moratorium on all immigration,” in order to preserve the dominance of the white race in America.
And in one you may not have heard about, a Baptist church in Mississippi voted out a 12-year-old boy who “asked Jesus to live in his heart” — because the child is biracial and church members didn’t want the black side of his family attending with him.
And add to these examples Christopher Hitchen flipping off the audience on “Real Time” after the ardent Bush supporter was heckled during his appearance last night and Ann Coulter’s meltdown on Hannity and Colmes and one could surmise that the pressure is starting to show on some in the GOP camp.